2012 Race Announcements
2012 Race Information
The 3rd Annual Planet Adventure Eagle Creek Half/Full Trail Marathon will be held Saturday, August 4, 2012.
The 2012 Eagle Creek Trail Marathon is part of the 2012 Trail Runner Trophy Series
Saturday, August 4, 2012
- Start Times: (All times Eastern)
- Full Marathon: 7:30 am Wave 1
- Full Marathon: 7:40 am Wave 2
- Half Marathon: 7:50 am Wave 1
- Half Marathon: 8:00 am Wave 2
- Quarter Marathon: 8:10 am
- Note: Waves may be adjusted based on overall entries in each division.
- Race cutoff time will be 4:00pm
- UPDATED! Early Packet Pickup: Friday 3pm-8pm
- A huge thank you to our new title sponsor, The North Face for hosting this year's early packet pickup.
- 8702 Keystone Crossings, Indianapolis IN 46240
- Watch for information on special deals they will be offering at packet pickup Friday night.
- Race Day Packet Pickup: Race Day from 6:00am-7:15am at the start/finish area.
- Race Field: Limited to 750 runners (total all waves)
- Location: Eagle Creek Park, Indianapolis Indiana
- Start/Finish at Eagles Crest: [ Map It ]
- Physical Address: 7201 Fishback Road, Indianapolis IN 46278
- Swag: All entries will receive a short sleeve Event T-Shirt if registered and PAID by midnight, July 15th
- Distances & Fees: See Below
- Parking: Parking is available in the lots leading to the race start as well as in the grass fields. (if dry)
- Facilities: Portables Only
- Spectator Info will be posted on the race information board at event registration.
"On the Menu"
- Aid Stations will be positioned at approximately 1.1 miles, 3.28 miles, 5.2 miles and 6.55 miles (since it's an out and back course these stations will be available again on the way back to the start).
- In addition to the Aid stations, a drop table will be provided at the start/finish for full marathon distance runners. There will be bottled water only available here in addition to whatever personal food/fuel/gear you would like to drop.
- All aid stations will feature:
- Trail Mix
- "PA" Potatoes... salty
- HEED or equivalent electrolyte drinks
- Hammer Gel or equivalent
- Post Race we'll have for you:
- Chocolate Milk
- And more "PA" Potatoes....
The out and back course is 13.1 miles in length, Half Marathoners will run this once and Full course racers will complete the course twice. It begins at Eagles Crest following the trails to the south, crosses the causeway on 56th Street (street will be closed) and then north into the trail system on the east side of the park. See below for more information.
Course Map: Download the Course Map (PDF)
Results Posted: By Midnight August 5th
Photos: Free to download following the race on our Gallery
Staying overnight? Please consider the Staybridge Suites, a great Planet Adventure sponsor. Make your reservation with group code: PAD
Eagle Creek Course Description
The first mile is single track flat with a drop down into a ravine then levels until further dropped to a old road. The terrain during this first mile is pretty straight single track with some turns and most of the trail is clean of roots. All of the first mile is tree covered.
The next section is entirely old road with some small portions of grass, still mostly tree covered. From the old road section you will turn right onto single track that changes in elevation several times... some roots and small logs. A flat section of single track then brings you to a climb to the top of the ridge along the lake, one of the local favorite places to see the water. This section is also tree covered.
You then drop down onto a man made earth dam and then up to another ridge. The single track will take you to a small park road that you will run until you dump again on single track where you will begin a long elevation (50') gain to another ridge. This section, near the 3 mile mark, is tight single track, some roots and small log crossings with lots of curves. At the end of this section you will be at the "Big Bear" which is the old steel bear brought to us by a long gone local business.
You will run a short section of grass to a fisherman's single track, this takes you down to the waters edge and up to the 56th street. Once at 56th street, you will cross the lake on the causeway bridge, hopefully during a gorgeous sunrise! After you cross, you will run along a short section of bicycle paved path that will lead you into the East side of Eagle Creek Park and past the 4-mile marker.
Once thru the entrance you will take a left on to double track that is very fine gravel. This well traveled path will be level and run you along the East side ridge along the water. This section is tree covered and not technical. Here you will have a couple of road crossings as you work your way to a set of stairs that will lead you down into a ravine and up the other side and back along the ridge which is also very flat and not technical. Another road crossing and then a slight uphill to a set of stairs.
This year we will turn you right at the bottom and run you up and over a ridge to the start of some small sections of single track. You will run a short distance right next to the water and then up to the last ridge around mile 5. This last section is also tree covered and not technical. You will run past a park ornathology center and down along the water to the turn. This trail will take past mile marker 6 and onto the Lilly Lake gravel road for a large open causeway run. This will take you around and back to the last ridge you climbed going out. Do this all in reverse back to the finish!
Race Options & Entry Fees
|Race Option||Price through March 31||Price through July 15||Price July 16-Race Day (Shirt Not Included)|
Race Day Packet Pickup will be available from 6:00am until 7:15am on Race Day and 6:00pm-8:00pm at Early Packet Pickup.
All PAID entries received by midnight, July 15th, include short sleeve race shirt.
Prizes & Awards
All racers will receive a unique finisher medal commemorating the event.
Cash Prizes to Top Finishers in Full Marathon
- 1st Place Overall Male & Female Runners $125 each
- 2nd Place Overall Male & Female Runners $75 each
- 3rd Place Overall Male & Female Runners $50 each
In addition, gift cards will be provided by The North Face
Gear Prizes from our Sponsors for top 3 Male & Female finishers in other race distances.
Age Group Awards are top 3 in divisions with fields greater than 100 racers, 1st place only in fields that are less.
- Adult Age Groups Male & Female
- 18-24 25-29
- 30-39 40-49
- 50-59 60-69
- 70+ Masters Division
- You will automatically be entered into the correct division based on your age.
Call us at 317-324-8299
Send us real mail:
Planet Adventure LLC
PO Box 3498
Carmel IN 46082